Home     About Me     Polkadots and Rainbows     PR Friendly     Contact Me
           

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Recent Tornado

I just want to post today about the tornado that swept most of the southeast last week. I dont think I have ever been so scared in my entire life. For those that dont know I live in Northwest Georgia. The storm that took so many lives in Alabama last Wednesday April 27th, 2011 was on a fast track straight shot to my city. I sat there and watched as city by city if was headed straight for us. There was more than one though so that made everything even worse. The sirens had gone off over and over again with new warnings and to take shelter. That morning around 9 am there was a tornado touch down in our city but luckily it only had minor distruction to some trees and very few homes. However it was VERY close to an elementry school that WAS in session. How scared those children must have been. After that one came through we got a bit of a break and at 5pm there was more warnings for us and surrounding areas. It was at that time the town of Trenton, GA was completely destroyed. Around 8pm another tornado touched down in Ringgold, GA. This was the hardest hit city in Georgia. There was a total of 8 deaths there including an entire family. My family lives 25 minutes from Ringgold. I have to drive through there to get to my doctor! Its completely shut down! They still have the town shut down. Only those cleaning up and rescue crews are allowed. They have check points set up where you must prove you live there or are working on the clean up.
The reason for this post is that could have easily been me and my family. These families are left grieving for the loss of their family, friends, homes and belongings. Most have nothing left after this. Its such a heart wrenching story.
My OB-GYN office is collecting items for their patients that have been hit hard by the storms. One family they speak about has a 11month old baby and she is pregnant again, and they lost everything. So here is my plea to you...If you have any maternity items, baby items, diapers, formula, clothes, ANYTHING that you are not using and would like to send them to me, please email me at keepersphoto@gmail. I know somethings can not be mailed. But if you would like to help, it would be appreciated by so many.

1 comment:

  1. OMG LeAnn!! :( Those photos are devistating to look at. I can't imagine how scared you must have been. It's one thing to be scared for yourself, but another when you have your children to protect. I'm glad you and your family are safe, and I pray for those who have lost loved ones, homes, businesses..ect.

    ReplyDelete